Return to Index    

John S. Fray & Co. ten inch sweep brace with Barber's Improved jaws. 
 

John S. Fray No.510 brace
Other side
Head view
The pad appears to be made from lignum vitae, with the many small checks that are a characteristic of that species.
Chuck apart
The wrist handle is made from some close-grained hardwood:
The manufacturer's marks are: John S. Fray & Co., Bridgeport, CT, U.S.A.
and No.510 (not shown)
Wrist handle
John S. Fray & Co.Beidgeport, CT., U.S.A.
B&D-83
Price: $30.00 plus shipping
  

The jaws of this brace fit the chuck and its shell, but they are so-called Barber's Improved, first made by the Millers Falls company, then by Charles Amidon's later companies, and used here by John S. Fray & Co., presumably after the Amidon patent (U.S. Patent No. 73,279, granted January 14, 1868) had expired.

What you see here is exactly what appears in Fray's Catalog No.26, 1911.

Everything about the brace is functioning well, with only the 50% lost nickel plating to mar its appearance. It's not peeling very badly, though.

US Patent No. 73,279
The Amidon patent shows a pin connecting the two jaws, as well as a couple of embodiments using springs, but what appeared by the millions in the marketplace are the integral pin and cored hole seen in the present brace's jaws.